How to make a caffeine free Red Bush latte
We are going to show you how to make a delicious rooibos latte at home. This is the perfect bedtime drink, which i consider the herbal tea equivalent of a Horlicks or Ovaltine.
What is Red Bush?
Red Bush, or 'Rooibos', is made from from the leaves of a shrub Aspalathus linearis usually grown on the west coast of South Africa. It is processed in a similar way to black tea where it undergoes an oxidation process which turns the leaves red. It is also possible to get “green” version of rooibos which is unoxidised. Red Bush has a strong distinct flavour and plenty of body like a black tea meaning that it blends really well with milk. However it contains less tannins and has no caffeine, but is still is full of antioxidants which in the long term may helps to reduce the risks of illnesses such as heart disease and cancer.
How to make a rooibos latte
- Use 2 teaspoons of Red Bush tea in a strainer or loose leaf teabag.
- Boil the kettle, then fill ⅓ of your cup with hot water
- Leave to brew for 3-4 minutes
- Meanwhile fill another cup with ⅔ milk and place in the microwave on full power for 45-60 secs (depending on cup size).
- Once the tea is brewed and the milk is hot, tip one cup into the other and stir with a spoon
You should now have a delicious caffeine free Red Bush latte ready to go. If you havetried making this herbal latte then please send us a picture and let us know how what you think.
Instagram If you haven't got some already then you can buy quality loose leaf Red Bush from our online store by clicking here….